Monday, March 17, 2008

Stimulants

So what do stimulants do for (or to) slow thinking?

I've been drinking coffee all day and trying to catch up with my mind as gears spin madly. Speed! But also, spent most of the day following all the tiny threads spinning out from a couple of things that came my way this morning. Slow thinking.

What's the relationship? When Kushner wrote Angels in America, he was fueled by package after package of cookies. Sugar. Caffeine. Can speed induce slow thinking? Is this is the artistic equivalent of tweakers piecing together shredded bank statements with exquisite, marathon focus?

Do you use stimulants when you create?

3 comments:

k. terumi shorb said...

what? what? are you talkin' to me? huh? i'm up at 440am. yet i haven't had caffeine since i woke up! woohoo. adrenaline is the perfect stimulant.

although, kim just sent me an article about how loads of academics are actually addicted to adderol. fun!

as per your "slow thoughts" question. i think it's always hard to slow thoughts down. especially when wired.

Ana-Maurine Lara said...

Alice Notley used to take speed to write her poetry at 11pm at night after her children went to sleep.

I go on and off coffee. I remember one day last April when I drank an espresso after not having had coffee for over six months, my jittering fingers and grinding jaw couldn't keep up with the flashes of color pulsing through my brain. I was up for three days. It was great. But not that slow.

Jen said...

Wow. To both of you. Up at 4:40 without caffeine- I'm impressed.

Adderol. Alice Notley! There's something about the conundrums of creative life (and capitalism?) in here...

I wonder about Li-Young Lee, who I know writes also after his family goes to bed.

I wonder if slow thinking can be its own adrenaline...

Thanks for thinking w/ me, fast & slow!