
The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.
Getting ready to submit material to Queer Codex and trying to write a note for the work as it will appear in process, in print. (Appearing in process and in print: Aren't we all brave, ROOTED comrades? Or humble. Or at least willing to be humbled, which is maybe a precondition for a certain kind of bravery.)
So in thinking of what to say in the note, I'm going back to the first musings that gave birth to this piece last summer, after the tribute to raúlrsalinas, as I sat in my backyard trying to write a poem for Raúl about the moment that Alán Gomez said "The arc of the moral universe is long," and all of us who were assembled, a congregation at prayer, murmured in response, in benediction, "but it bends towards justice."
And then I found the image above in a sidebar on a website of quotes made famous by Dr. King. It reminded me of pënz these last few days. Someone's photo named Thanksgiving chapel interior: so of course I think of thanksgiving, of the interiority of the sacred, of how to give gratitude so that it keeps spiraling outward into space, the expanding of a sacred universe. I am missing Raúl.
No comments:
Post a Comment